The Mitchells preblog

This site will let you know when we have updated the blog. If you would like an invite to our private blog, please leave your e-mail in a comment. Thanks for visiting

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Tree Hunt

Several months ago when the kids were going to bed, they asked me to tell them a story.  They love hearing stories of when I was growing up so I was telling them about the tree hunt we would go on every year as a family and have so much fun stomping through the snow finding that perfect Griswald Christmas tree.  Seriously the Christmas tree hunt is one of the things I look forward to all year.   Well after that night of stories, I went into the office and asked Ammon what he thought the possibilities would be for us to make a trip home for Christmas.  Just thinking of being able to go up the mountain and search for the Christmas tree and enjoy a real fire place was enough to make the drive for me.  So we started planning and this is one of the wonderful things we were able to have this last Christmas.  A real Christmas tree hunt.
And here is my hunter

Seeing Ammon in my dad's coveralls and hat just made me so happy. 
I don't know if this next picture made him as happy but I had to document the belly on the hunt.

One of the things I love about Parowan canyon is the names.  We went to "the 5 mile" to get the tree, which is just the turn off, 5 miles up the canyon.  We could have gone to the "2nd left hand" which would have been the next turn.  It's great that if you use these terms, everyone knows what your talking about. 
Yay for snow and yay for being in the mountains.  The kids loved playing in the snow and quickly started a snowball fight.
 
 
 
 

The kids also loved eating the snow.  Avonlea could not get enough of it but we taught her to not eat the yellow snow, don't worry. 

Addie and Avonlea quickly tired out and didn't want to go hunting.  I thought they were just being wimps until they both came down with fevers when we got home.  Avonlea had a little throw-up session but luckily both were feeling better quickly.  Anyway, the girls and I stayed down the mountain and ate snow and the men  climbed the hills looking for the perfect tree.

Of course we had the traditional cinnamon rolls and hot-cocoa waiting for us back at the van. 
 
My man with our wonderful Christmas tree...that was only up for 4 days but boy did it smell good and the memories were well worth it.
   
Kimball was excited to help put the lights on the tree.  If you notice Addie laying on the couch by the fire in the background.  It's no fun being sick but if your going to be sick, this is a good setting to be sick in...I should know, I spent ALL of Christmas Eve sick sick sick.
All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas tree hunt.  It was definitely different not having any other family there, especially having my parents gone but it even though they were gone, it still felt like home and I treasure the memories I now have of laying on the floor after the kids had gone to bed with the Christmas tree lights on and the fire warming us while we listened to our book on tape.  I love home.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: