The Mitchells preblog

This site will let you know when we have updated the blog. If you would like an invite to our private blog, please leave your e-mail in a comment. Thanks for visiting

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Keeping up with traditions

Addies Birthday was Tuesday....I can't believe I have a 4 year old. And what a sweet 4 year old she is. She is always wanting to help and doing things without being asked. Last week she got Kimball dressed and brushed his teeth. We love this girl.
Well when I was growing up, it was tradition that on your birthday you got to have a "Birthday Bath" which is the one time a year when you could fill the bath water all the way up to the top and you could take a bath all by yourself. Being the youngest of 7, this was a big deal. Keep in mind, this was when we were little kids, not teenagers, although when I was a teenager I still would fill the bath water all the way up to the top on my Birthday. Anyway, we have kept this tradition with our kids and Addie LOVES IT!!!! Although she loved her presents and her cake, she has talked more about this than anything. It's fun to keep those little traditions alive.

Another tradition from growing up was being able to pick a birthday cereal. Eating cold cereal was such a treat to us growing up and if ever we got it, it was cornflakes or cheerios. However, on our Birthday, we got to pick any cereal we wanted. I loved finding the prettiest sugar coated cereal I could when I was little. Well this is another tradition we have kept. Although my children have cold cereal far more than I EVER did growing up, it is fun for them to be able to choose which ever one they want. Addie still talks about the Barbie cereal she got last year. This year, there wasn't a huge selection of cereal to choose from but she choose Trix and was so excited to eat it in her princess tent we got her, while she watched cartoons.

Addie asked for a butterfly cake this year so that is what we did. It's a shame to eat a cake when you have put so much effort into it and they see if for about 10 second while they blow out the candles, then they want to tear it to pieces. I only cried a little. :-)

This is my big 4 year old girl that keeps us laughing every day with her little sayings and sweet hugs. She was a surprise to us but I can't imagine our life without her or her little brother. We love you Addison Mae.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Matt and Valerie said...

Wow Lou- you did an AMAZING job with that cake!!! I know the kids only see the cake for a minute before they eat it, but you will have these pictures to cherish forever! You are so amazingly talented! How in the world are we related??? Sure love ya!

Teresa said...

Beautiful cake! I love my Adelina Carolina so much! She's made me laugh my head off for the past four years. I love your traditions. And say, is that Clint Eastwood standing there in those black cowboy boots? Love, Nana

What a life!! said...

I love it!!! I am so excited to come and see you guys. Can I sleep in the tent? :) Tell Addie happy b-day from all of us esp. Sariah

Michelle and Nick said...

Sorry I forgot to call that day. It looks like a really fun day for Miss Addie Mae. I always forget about the cereal tradition. I think I need to do that this year. You are such a great mom!

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Happy birthday Addie! You're such a cute girl. You're going to grow up to be a great person. Listen to your parents-they're smart!

Looks like a fun birthday bath and party! Your mommy did a great job on your cake! Oh...and I would have chosen Trix cereal too! :)

Adri and Cory said...

What a fun tradition! I love traditions especially when they are inexpensive!

Stacia said...

Happy Birthday Addie! And I totally remember you gettting to pick out cereal for your birthday! Fun to keep traditions going!

123123 said...

Hi Chalise!
I tried calling you on Saturday, but it just rang and rang, so I was going to catch you today... but you were super busy... or our class was super crazy-- one of the two!
Anyway, I cannot seem to order just the broken peice for your Cookie Press (unless it's still within warranty time and u have a receipt?). What I can do is order you a brand new one at my PC Discount (20% off). OR if you want to have a party you could possibly get it FREE or at Half off!

Let me know! You can email me: stacilee84@gmail.com Thanks!

theProvidentWoman said...

What an adorable little one.

CJ Armstrong said...

I think that this is the first year that I have missed her birthday. I am sad about that. Tell her that I miss her and love her. I am coming to Cedar in September. So if you are still around I would love to come and say hi. Miss you.